Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Basic stock price functions in Python

I've been reading a bit into algorithmic stock trading lately, and thought I'd try and actually simulate a few of the trades strategies. The first thing I needed was a way to get at the stock prices, I figured the easiest way might be scraping either Yahoo or Google Finance. Turns out someone else has done this before, so no need to code it up myself. I think Google Finance has been updated since that module was written, because the regex used doesn't properly fetch the actual price. All I had to do was modify the function in a few places and everything was working as expected.
A neat thing about it is that you don't need to pass the exact ticker symbol you want to get a quote for into the get_quote function, since the stirng gets passed as a query to Google Finance, which autocorrects it.

I also added a stock class, as well as long and shot sell functions. This should be a good enough start to simulate some algorithmic trading.

No comments: