Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Complete ROAMR setup

This is my robot in it's complete setup, of course I'll work on actually fixing everything in place properly, but all the hardware and such is there. I haven't been able to reliably send the Kinect data over wifi using ROS, so unfortunately the mapping and navigation algorithm isn't implemented yet, however I am controlling the robot from my laptop remotely over ROS. There are nodes running on each of the computers:
  • The controlling laptop publishes steering data (this is what you see running in the terminal at the beginning)
  • The robot in turn listens to this steering topic, and writes the appropriate signal to the Arduino onboard, which then controls the actual motors.
  • The robot also publishes the Kinect data over ROS topics, however they don't seem to get through (my network stats show that the outgoing data constantly peaks at around 230KiB/s, but no actual images get displayed on the host computer) I believe this is because of the poor wifi card built into the laptop on to of the robot, I'm currently working on getting this to work
  • The controlling laptop listens in to this data, and will, once it's working, run it through the ROS RGB-D SLAM algorithm.
Eventually, I will try to implement odometry for the robot so I can use the ROS gmapping algorithm instead, which produces 2D maps of the robots environment and better allows for navigation. i also expect the resulting maps will be much smaller in filesize - the RGB-D SLAM produced maps are often several GB large.

Here's the video:

No comments: